Thursday 12 January 2017

Tales from the House of Bunnincula Series


I stumbled on this series, during my periodic trips to those shabby out-of-the-way shops that advertise ‘BOOKS SOLD BY THE KILO’. You enter a semi-dark room, wondering what you will find, and if you are a bibliophile like me, you prepare yourself for an amazing sight. Especially, if you are a vertically challenged bibliophile like me. You are surrounded by books, piled up on the floor, or arranged on rough wooden tables knocked together for this purpose. There are thousands, make that tens of thousands, of books from every genre that one can think of. I love going to such shops as I come across titles I do not encounter in more traditional bookstores. 


And that’s how I found Bunnincula, a pet rabbit adopted by the Monroe family, and said to have strange vampire-like taste in matters of food and drink.

The books are written with cracking humour by James Howe and illustrated magnificently by Brett Helquist. 

The House of Bunnincula series is a spin-off by the original series purportedly written by the family dog, Harold. In this new series, the story is narrated by a puppy, Howie, who sees himself as an aspiring writer. The first book, It Came From Beneath the Bed! is, in Howie’s words, “about how a talented and lovable (not to mention smart) wirehaired dachshund puppy named Howie saves the world from a disgusting, evil menace named...oops, that would give away the story”. Howie soon discovers that a writer’s life isn’t easy. “My friend Delilah stopped speaking to me because I put her in my book. Uncle Harold stopped speaking to me because I didn't put him in my book”.

The fun never stops as long as Howie is picking up writing . 
He also enjoys himself playing the hero and saving the world from a science experiment gone wrong. There are six books in the series, and they are all enjoyable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment